Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Arkham Asylum



Arkham Asylum is done in such a cool and creepy way. In a lot of the panels its hard to tell exactly what I am even looking at. It's dark and dirty and contains muted and super vivid colors simultaneously. I love it, but it makes me uncomfortable at times to read. I haven't really read any of the traditional batman comics, though I know the story from the movies and the TV show. This comic is so much cooler than I had imagined a batman comic to be. The story line helps I think. It's less of action crime fighting and more psychological thriller.
The comic is a work of art. It is so different than what you normally see; in some panels there are photographs, in others thick paint, and others are done in rough pencil. All of this really adds to the feeling of the comic. You feel the madness that lives in the Asylum. It's done in such a way that I find the comic scarier than a horror movie. The comic feels more real than most too. I think this has to do with the use of photographs and realism.
I knew almost instantly that Arkham's kid and wife were going to be murdered by the mad man when they mentioned him. I wish there had been a way to hold that knowledge off a bit. I enjoyed the end. There was no big resolution which I guess fits a story like Batman, since the fight between him and Joker goes on forever. I enjoyed that they ended it on Twoface making a decision to let Batman go.
I'd love to see this made into a movie somehow. It would have to be done in a way that would preserve the intense style. I'm not sure if that's possible, but it would be certainly cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment