Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Persepolis Volume 1



Persepolis was a really interesting graphic novel. Having no knowledge of the Iranian culture before reading it, I found the book it quite fascinating. I can't imagine what it must have been like to live through a war. Reading about it makes me feel like the events of my life are so easy and trivial. Marjane is so strong in the book. she is just a kid in most of the first volume but she is bolder and more firm in her beliefs than most adults I know. I admire her for it. I guess going through a war would make you like that. She had to see a lot of her friends and family die. I was sad about her uncle that she looked up to dieing. He seemed like such a good person. 
I can't imagine at 14 being sent away to another country where you don't even know the language. It must have been one of the hardest decisions her parents ever had to make. It shows just how much they love her. 
I liked the art style a lot. The thick black lines makes it feel more Iranian... whatever that means. It's not cartoony but its not realistic either. I'm not sure how to classify the art style. It reminds me a lot of a comic called Epileptic. It also had a similar thick black line style.
I heard that the movie is done in a similar style, but that they skip over some stuff covered in the book. I think I'll have to watch it sometime and find out for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment